[Harp-L] Chromatic Comb Repair

Hi Mike,

My post was prompted by a number of recent posts on the above topic. The
main point in the instructional "fix" that I remember was that these comb
failures arise from the wood drying out and shrinking. The reed plates -
being of metal do not shrink and consequently effectively pull the comb
apart. If you simply stick the two parts of the split comb together you end
up with a short comb that no longer matches the reed plates. The trick
apparently is to leave the harmonica partially assembled attached to at
least one of the reed plates while you apply an  adhesive with some filler
content to the pesky split.

Health Warning! I have never actually done it. Take advice from someone who
has!

Beannachtai

Aongus