Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Help with Chromatic repair

Hi George:

YOU're right--and I thought I'd covered this in my previous post agreeing
with Winslow's take on it--that IF there is even a fine 'line' (which WE
know to  be a crack) on the back of the chromatic wood body, then it's almost
always a  full break right through the body of the harmonica, which left
uncared for can  warp. I believe I've mentioned this several times over the
years as well. NOT  disagreeing with this premise at all. I've even written to
Sellers (back in the  day) when they'd represented these particular
chromatics as 'hardly played' or  'pristine' to inform them that their chromatics
were broken and they couldn't  possibly charge the high prices they were
asking. Most took it kindly. Some  didn't. ;)

You're right too about 'buyer beware' on EBay, but the original poster
already had bought his there, found them both with cracked bodies--so my
suggestion was to now find (possibly) used ones with UNcracked combs by
eliciting this info from the Seller who HAS to divulge these details to the
purchaser if asked. If he/she sells one with a crack without divulging it, it's
cause to open a case against the Seller through EBay if any grief is given
about  taking it back.

My own experience is that I've gotten quite a few over the years with
remarkably intact wood bodies which I've used as replacements. However, as you
know--I'm now almost exclusively playing CX-12's. But I still like to
maintain  my older chromatics so will await your milled chromatic combs for those
I don't  currently have intact combs for.

I even bought a gorgeous aluminum one from Tom Halchak for one of  my SP
20's which Smokey country-tuned for me. Surprisingly I do own  quite a
collection of diatonics and hope to eventually play them 'Smokey  style' :) so I'm
definitely interested in combs made of alternate  materials.

Best, Elizabeth

"Elizabeth,

You're right and this is good until... you take off the mouthpiece and
slide, and find cracks on the inside, and warped chamber walls, which are not
otherwise revealed by an outside visual inspection. Whethe we like it or
not,  everything bought from individuals on eBay is "buyer beware" unless you
have  established a personal  relationship.

George