Re: [Harp-L] Re: Sad News Cham-Ber Huang

I never really "met'  him but I saw him at several SPAH seminars demonstrate how to play songs using three stacked diatonics, changing harps when the chord vamping required a different chord. And his talks about chromatic playing various techniques.

HE also invented the chordomonica (I and II( -- which incorporates the same idea into one harmonica.

He also used to joke about his name: "Oooops I played the Huang (wrong) harmonica!" Extremely talented fellow yet approachable and modest about his fame in the classical world.

I loved his Silvertone harps. It was my first full set - which I still have.

Later, he came out with his Jazz Harps, equal temperament with the 5 draw tuned up a half-step,  Compare  country tuned (

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCFzBmTP6QA>

Here is a video from NAAM 2005 where he explains his personal chromatic harmonica. A commercial version  is still prized today and Hohner still sells reeds/reedplates for it.

<http://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/cham-ber-huang>

(You could write a treatise about Cham-Ber and  to my regret I never got around to doing that when I was helping to put out American Harmonica Newsmagazine.)

Maybe somebody could compile a retrospective about him for the SPAH magazine.

Phil