[Harp-L] re: Larry Adler's Centennial

Thou shalt not bad mouth any mouth organ player -- that ´s the rule, I know.
  But am I the only one who, despite Adler´s very obvious skills (they are present on an objective level) find his style a tad ... artificial, ingratiating, over the top or some such?

It seems to me that he can´t play a single note without that fluttering hand movement, creating an uninteresting and shallow type of tremolo; and his wah-wah effects on classical material, à la Sonny Boy II meets Wolfgang I ...

  Hmm, doesn´t go very far with me.
  Maybe this was his way of selling the harmonica to a mass audience, and he was undeniably successful in that enterprise?
  I read his autobiographies many years ago -- I think he wrote two of them: the anecdotes concerning Larry and various celebrities needed another volume -- but as I recall he didn´t talk a whole lot about music, which could have been interesting. Fairly common with musicians memoirs, though: "People don´t wanna read about that."

  Then, "that" is often the only thing they are really good at -- but, as Tony says, he was a witty guy.

Cheers,
Martin

<Larry Adler did a Gershwin album with George Martin to mark his 80th
<birthday. I saw him play in Australia, an unforgettable show.

<In addition to his signature tone and impeccable execution, his wit and
<skill as a raconteur were standouts. We were all under his thrall,
<including the women on stage. Apparently he was a major figure in
<Hollywood social circles, and once paired with Ingrid Bergman.

<To see the master at work, check out the film clip. From the 40's by the
<look of it.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seTNZnddggs

<Tony Eyers