[Harp-L] Re: Overblow Discussion

I described the differences between the different types of pitch alteration possible on the diatonic harp in detail in The Harp Handbook. Here's a short quote:

"There are two basic situations which can occur when altering the pitch of notes on the diatonic harp, which account for the different playing characteristics of the reeds in different holes:

either
1) the higher pitched reed in a given hole is a closing reed, and the lower is opening (only possible in 1-6 draw & 7-10 blow)

or
2) the higher pitched reed in a given hole is an opening reed and the lower is closing (only possible in 1-6 blow and 7-10 draw)

Case 1) describes bends and case 2) describes overblows/overdraws."

I'd have no problems with calling all case 2) alterations "overbends" as a general term. One thing it's important to remember is that such alterations are produced by a single opening reed, the opposing reed is not involved in making the sound. All case 1) alterations  -  i.e. regular bends  -  are dual reed systems where both upper and lower pitched reed interact to produce the bent note. I'd also like to point out that a single closing reed can only be bent downwards from its natural pitch (as is possible on a chrom), whereas opening reeds can only be bent upwards from their starting pitch, which lies slightly above the pitch of the same reed when closing. This is why accomplished players can play direct bends and slide up to the natural note, and expert overbenders can bend overbends upwards too.

Steve Baker
www.stevebaker.de
www.european-music-workshops.com
www.harmonica-masters.de