[Harp-L] Beta 57a First Gig

Just tried out the Shure Beta 57a for harmonica on an acoustic gig.
Fantastic mic for the price (runs around $135).  Picks up clearly the
subtleties of rhythm harp at around one foot away with some great bass
proximity effects when you move in to around few inches from the mic for a
lead.  The tone is both warm and crisp filling in some of the mids that are
normally missing from my Marine Band Crossovers on an acoustic set up and
bringing out the beef on my Marine Band Deluxes and Blue Midnights.  Think I
might even use it in some of my home recording projects as well, even though
it cost less than half of the AKG C2000 I current use for acoustic harp home
recording!  Think it might be almost comparable in sound quality to some of
the ribbon mics I have used in various studios with much more of gritty live
vibe. (By the way I am have been really enjoying the Blue Midnights lately.
They run about $30 from Guitar Center before my "professional" discount and
have great tone and durability for the price!)

Mad Dog Friedman
www.maddogharp.com