[Harp-L] Re: excluding jammers WAS: A-432

[Sorry for the potential double post]

Harp-L Digest, Vol 136, Issue 33
Hellerman, Steven L.
To:
harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx;
I go to a jam most Tues. nights where it's always tuned down half a step. One night a guy comes in and says sorry but it would be "just impossible" for me to play on his songs. He proceeds to play "Ball in Chain" by Social Distortion, which I have played w/ those guys dozens of times on Tues. night (their repertoire is generally limited to post-1990 or so, w/ but a few exceptions). It's in Db. So I just jumped in and played, much to his surprise (or chagrin?). Played on his other tunes too, all in Eb, Db, Ab or F#; didn't bother to ask (which I generally do, otherwise). We took a break and he talked about how he had no idea that harmonica could be played in those keys, blah, blah, blah. Whatever. We have not seen him since, but every now and then somebody ribs me how it's "just impossible" for me to play on this next tune.

SLH

Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 13:40:28 -0700
From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L]
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I have encountered singer/guitarists who tune down a half step. (Slightly
easier on the fingers, and slightly easier high vocals.)

When I ask to sit in, they appear to hope that I am not prepared.
???I am, and it u
sually turns out quite fun for all in the room.
But then, maybe
???this
 IS an effective way to limit amateurs. The owner of 12+ harps is more
likely to be a capable player; not absolutely, but probably.

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona
youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL
DUKEofWAIL.com