Re: [Harp-L] Country Tuning

Greg, on your second playing on the word crazy, (the 'zy' syllable), you aren't getting the bend.
You need a sharp there.
I loved your video and it was spot on. I came up with raising the 5 draw back in 1960, and used it
2 decades before Charley. Why? For doo-wop, dance music, jazz, and dixieland.

I always held the feeling that tunes have certain notes..sometimes only one, sometimes more, which
MUST be hit or you loose the 'flavour' of the tune. And I used to use 2 or more harps on a tune until I
came up with 'my' doo-wop tuning. Because if one cannot hit these 'critical' notes, one shouldn't play
the tune.

Previously one would use 2 harps (for example a D crossed and an A straight) for Londonderry Aire (Oh Danny Boy), and 4
harps if you modulated . Like a D crossed, A straight, Eb crossed, and a Bb straight.
With my system, you only need 1 harp (a D crossed), (or 2 if you modulated..like a D & Eb)). Recently heard a tune done by a
rather well known name. 'Walkin after midnight'. In the 'weeping willow' phrase, he was hitting the
wrong note. It was a natural, and it should have been a slur/bend flat. It was like my left arm. It was't right, and it wasn't fair. lol.

My video 'Georgia' is an example of correct 'critical' notes.

smokey joe