[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 136, Issue 30

Hi, Robert

“Unity gain” - or what I call “cable equivalent” gain depends on the receiver’s level control, the “mic /line” level switch on the back (only if using balanced output), the impedance match between the transmitter and the mic, and the transmitter’s gain adjustment. The biggest single factor is how you connect the receiver to the pedal. If you’re using the path of least resistance, which is a 1/4” to 1/4” cable, the output of the receiver (assuming we’re talking about a CR77 receiver?)  is woefully low. Thankfully there is a workaround - use the balanced output. Use an XLR to XLR cable and an impedance matching transformer to connect the receiver to the RP355. Set the switch on the back to line level (not mic level!) I recommend keeping the Tx gain adjustment on the low side - between low and about 1/4 - for most accurate tone and minimization of feedback.

Now “unity gain” should be somewhere between 12:00 and 4:00 on the receiver’s level knob. Easy to check by unplugging the cable from the back of the receiver and plugging it into your mic - you should set up to get about the same volume.

Cheers

/Greg
http://www.blowsmeaway.com