Re: [Harp-L] Fellow harp-o-lators

In my case, inhaling is more difficult than exhaling on harmonica, due to, I believe my Muscular Dystrophy. 12-bar blues is difficult for me because it requires drawing air in for a sustained length of time. It has been only recently that I've been able to do the number two bend on hole three. I'm slowing getting there. Needless to say, I gravitate toward first position and playing melodies. This does not mean I have given up on playing 2nd position or any other positions. I am not complaining, after all I am making music and that is more important.
My sister who is a nurse thinks my playing harp is good for me. I for one believe it doesn't hurt.
My advise to those with breathing problems is keep trying. Material you can play before others do so. And enjoy it and thank God for it.  The difficult stuff play or practice in private and ask God to help you..ÂÂ
Dennis

     On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 5:03 PM, Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 9, 2014, at 1:47 PM, Robert Hale wrote:

> I have a student, a former firefighter. He is aware of smoke damage to his
> lungs.
>
> He describes that blowing is easier than drawing. Would this be merely a
> perception?

He is correct. I can back him up. Ergo, I play chromatic mostly in the draw keys..not the keys they are tuned in.

> I think inhale and exhale depend on different muscles groups.

One can always seem to squeeze out a little more on an exhale. But tanking up on an inhale? Push it too far and it can be very uncomfortable.
smo-joe