Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Banned from Slidemeister

"Message: 11
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 14:52:13 -0500
From: Ronnie  Schreiber <autothreads@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Banned from  Slidemeister
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

> It is also the only  harmonica list with strange non-harmonica 'child
> boards' such as  "Christmas, Patriotic, Church, Religious Tabs,
> Prayermeister",  apparently pushing Mr. Fedor's own conservative
> religious  agenda.

Brendan, are you sure those aren't for people who want to use the
harmonica to play Christmas, patriotic, church and religious  music?"

Ronnie, that IS exactly what they're for! Slidemeister doesn't allow
politics or religious discussion specifically because no one can manage to keep
their personal prejudices out of such discussions. AS a religious man who
only  discusses his personal religious life for those who are INTERESTED and
does NOT  push any such 'agenda', it was a big step for him to ban religious
discussion so  all would be comfortable posting. 'I' would not belong to
Slidemeister otherwise  since I'm not religious. What I think of as my 'home
away from home' has posters  from around the Globe of all persuasions, for the
record.

The 'child-boards' have nothing to do with children but are separate places
 people can go to post about their own particular interests and include the
music  you've just listed. Thank you for pointing this out!

As for the rest of the furor now being stirred up on one harmonica-centric
site about another? Highly unfair. In fact, over the last couple of weeks
almost  every discussion on SM involved Brendan and his new THS system. It
created quite  a buzz long before, during and now that he announced it...and I
daresay he got a  ton of publicity from our many, many, many discussions of
which he was  relatively uninvolved other than originating the threads and
following through  here and there on questions put to him specifically about
his new system. He was  feted and kudoed by everyone including me, since
I've long since been a huge fan  of his and defended him against others who
claimed his system was a 'copy' of  their bolted-together diatonics. So much
for 'tyranny' and 'dictatorship'. AJ  graciously allowed all of this while
assuming Brendan would begin actively  participating as a MEMBER of the forum
(as I see it). While I remain a fan of  Brendan's, I'm not,
however--remotely a fan of bad-mouthing the owner of a list  on his own forum purely because
one refuses to play by the rules.

Adding in gratuitous references to dead WWII Italian dictators kind of
seals the deal and leaves a bad taste. AJ is a friend of mine since he's
treated me very decently over the years. We met at a harmonica convention and
got along wonderfully, and ever since he's never allowed the misogyny so
prevalent on most other harmonica forums to prevail against me or any other
woman. The behaviour of the owner of Slidemeister is the epitome of a
democratic  human being--although it's decidedly not a 'democratic' site per se when
it  comes to the major decisions, as he emphasizes. HE built the site with
his son  through trial, error, hard work and 'on a dime and a prayer' (that's
purely a  figure of speech). Invited a few of his chromatic friends to join
to talk about  chromatics without the constant discussions (on other
harmonica sites--of which  there are many) of amps, gear and whatever. What's
wrong with establishing  ground rules? It turned into an incredible place for
chromatic players to  gather. If it wasn't as good as it is would all of those
who are badmouthing it  have wanted to join or post there? They read those
rules so shouldn't be  complaining now. If Slidemeister was so
inconsequential, why bother? If it truly  was 'tyrannical' and such a terrible place to
be, why is Brendan asking  Slidemeisters to stand up for him? Many of us are
also harp-l members so does it  really matter? We're still being 'clued-in'
about the instruments.

For those not in the know, AJ's rules and regulations were recently
finetuned, updated--and re-published on the site with input from Members. We ALL
read them. AJ set it as a requirement for every member to do so in order to
join  the forum. He doesn't particularly care about whether or not a single
member  disagrees with his take on things--and isn't averse to privately
discussing any  problems offlist. In fact he reiterated this constantly - that
if any member has  ANY problem, to contact him. The rules and regs are what
they are. HE owns the  site, he gets to make the rules. They work. We all
play by them --or not. If  not, then don't sign up as a member, one can easily
read the list as a guest  instead or simply allow one's membership to
elapse by not poking one's head in  every couple of months. AJ will then weed you
out. He's not about 'numbers' but  about the camaraderie and quality of
those who join. All this negativity is just  entirely off-base.

Slidemeister has been denigrated on harp-l before. It hasn't made one whit
of difference to how highly its members think of AJ and our beloved
chromatic  site.

To verify (or not) that what I was told was accurate, I just did a scan of
Brendan's postings on Slidemeister - searching for ANYthing which would
indicate  he'd been an actual participating member of the forum. What I found
were tons of  references to and about products and his music (many by me). I
found a single  comment by him over more than a dozen full pages of posts
that was not an  announcement or discussion of his new products and set-ups,
or about his  discoveries or links to his website. I DO fully understand that
at the moment  his focus is single-minded about his new products but that's
not what  Slidemeister is about and everyone there knows it.

 I'M more than willing to cut a certain amount of slack..perhaps  giving a
bit more leeway before insisting that someone so very busy either
participate 'for real' or ?? but it's not my site. AJ has long-since refused to
allow his site to become a place for 'wares' to be sold or advertised - in
effect using it for free advertising. IF one wants to go ahead and ignore his
rules to do this--I guess there's a price? Then again--if time could be found
to  write all these current complaints here, couldn't time have been found
to  actively participate as a regular forum member of SM? I guess that's how
AJ  thinks--and I wouldn't attempt to second-guess his decisions on HIS
forum.

Harp-l might not allow advertising (as owner states), but it also now
accepts financial support. Several of us talked AJ into doing this as
well--rather than let the site close for lack of his personal funds. In  fact we just
sent in donations separately from each other to help keep the site  going.
HE decided on his own that it wasn't enough to accept that support  without
acknowledging those who did--so established a method to recognize the  main
supporters (not that any of us care), but then to give back to people who
might also wish to contribute --but have less, a way to be recognized. It's
all  about (with him) of trying to thank those who have been either generous
or kind.  Those of us who are able to contribute specify that the rules
still fully  apply, even at the highest levels...no preferential treatment.

Misunderstanding what lies behind this is so wrong. Also unlike harp-l and
other harmonica sites, AJ is someone who's hands-on with his forum - he has
to  be with the way it's set up. While owner-harp l made it clear he no
longer  wishes to read everyday posts, AJ does (or tries to)--but the system is
 different - is not done by email. This makes for entirely different
forums--entirely different approaches. One isn't 'wrong' compared to the  other.

As much as I've personally supported Brendan for a very, very long time -
in this case first threatening to air this particular grievance on harp-l
and  then following through as payback (while tossing in other gratuitous
insults)  against someone many of us care about while expecting intervention
from the  other Slidemeisters is beyond my ken. Really? I had truly hoped
cooler heads  would prevail by today and a compromise reached. By posting as was
done here, how is that remotely possible now?

AJ's also long-since stated that he'd just as soon shut his site down than
compromise his values, so threats and insults are entirely ineffectual. If
everyone left, he'd likely simply close the doors and get some
well-deserved  R&R. However, he hangs in for those of us who want him to. I've noticed
over  the years that no one else is ever remotely interested in beginning
their own  'all-chromatic harmonica' site since it's a huge amount of work, yet
some people  still persist on coming onto the single really great chromatic
forum and then  trying to force its originator/owner to change what works
for him along with his  established principles. He makes that point in his
rules' statement. That isn't  going to happen. Who would allow this on their
own blog? Harp-l likewise has its  own specific rules and regulations
although many here seem unaware that they do  exist.

For the perusal of any who don't yet know anything about Slidemeister, or
those who refused to play by the rules and are no longer members, here are
two  paragraphs accepted by all who are currently signed on with the best
chromatic  forum on the World Wide Web and written long before this current
contretemps. (I have permission to post them here).

Elizabeth

"SlideMeister  is a place for Chromatic harmonica discussion, not a place
for retailers to  "hawk their wares," promote themselves or otherwise "milk
the group." If this is  your intent, save yourself the embarrassment of being
publicly booted off the  forum and banned for life.

and:

SlideMeister  IS NOT A DEMOCRACY; and therefore does not provide dissenting
members a platform  from which to voice their opinions on the forum's
rules. This policy IS STRICTLY  enforced. SlideMeister is SlideMeister, and while
its policies aren't actually  "carved in stone" for all intents and
purposes; they are. If you think you're  coming here to change things; spare us all
the drama by leaving now!