Re: [Harp-L] Name any other instrument that... (Jaw Harps)

When several folks cited Jaw Harps, Rick Dempster wrote:

Yes, but rich in overtones.
RD

Jaw Harps are amazing instruments! I love listening to an accomplished Jaw Harper. Not surprisingly, Madcat is terrific. But my favorite player is Aron Szilagi, a Hungarian virtuoso whose father makes a huge array of some of the the finest Jaw Harps in the world. Here is an example of his playing.

http://youtu.be/xhvt2EMhfsY?list=UUPfzqln9xVwQwKUHERhwJMA

Tran Quang Hai is a Vietnamese master of many instruments including the Jaw Harp as well as throat singing.

http://youtu.be/aeVZUoFDg14

Now, to Rick's point about overtones. One of the coolest things about playing Jaw Harps, closely related to playing harmonicas, is the way you can control the range and amplitude of those overtone frequencies by changes in your oral cavity and airway's size and shape. Aron and Tran each have amazing control over their throat, tongue and diaphragm muscles. You would be amazed at the sounds an accomplished player can evoke from one of these simple instruments. I would go so far as to say that playing jaw harps may actually improve a harmonica player's ability to exert that kind of exquisite control over their oral cavity and airways! Try a good handmade one, you may really like it. The really good ones are European but there are some very nice Vietnamese ones as well (less expensive). Here is my favorite source.

http://www.danmoi.com/jews-harps-jawharps-guimbardes.html

[Vietnamese Jaw Harps are called, "Dan Moi," but this outfit offers harps from many countries as well as a range of other "world" instruments.]

Expect to pay $40 and up for a good European harp. I have one of these brass Vietnamese ones that is less expensive ($21) and very easy to play. You don't have to touch the metal to your teeth like you do the European ones. Mine is tuned to a perfect C.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaw-Jews-Mouth-Harp-Dan-Moi-Triple-Bass-GREAT-GIFT-/120680061152?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c191798e0

Jaw Harps are great fun to play and a good player can really turn some heads.

Michelle

<https://www.youtube.com/user/navrangmusic>