[Harp-L] Symphonium

The recent thread on diatonic or limited note-set instruments other than harp (jaw harps; Appalachian dulcimers; fretless zithers; many diatonic accordions; most mbira/kalimba type instruments; several Asian free-reed instruments; blow accordions; many mallet instruments both traditional (balafon) and modern (Orff); some hurdy gurdies; others I'm missing) as well as some of the talk of tunable instruments and invention history reminded me of one of the neatest free-reed instruments of the past.  It's diatonic (well, this one is--you can add more buttons, but then it doesn't look nearly as cute) and from one of the most significant free-reed innovators and I wish someone would make a modern version:

http://www.mfa.org/node/399736

The Wheatstone Symphonium (  http://www.hps.cam.ac.uk/whipple/explore/acoustics/wheatstonessymphonium/  )  On my long list of desired instruments, this May rank #1.  And would take up a lot less room than an Aeolian Orchestrelle.

JR Ross