[Harp-L] RE: name any other instrument that...

There are LOTS of other diatonic instruments which play primarily in a
single given key, and would have to be swapped out with a different one for
a different song. There's the diatonic glockenspiel, marimba, and steel
drum. There are diatonic flutes and diatonic saxophones... all of these
would have limited playability in the wrong key signature.

BUT most of these instruments are fairly large, and you can't easily carry
all 12 keys with you to a gig like you can with a harmonica. 12 saxophones?
Really? Uh... no.  I'm playing in the bell choir tomorrow at church, and
you only get the particular bells out that you need for that particular
song and set them up with a team of players in place. You couldn't carry
around all the different bells and a team of players quite as easily as a
single little case filled with harps which you can play yourself! That's
one reason why the harmonica is so great. And with enough practice and
talent, one can play any harp in any key (I can't, but there are a handful
of virtuosos out there that can!)