Re: [Harp-L] Re: twin harmonica system

Thanks Brendan,
My first attempt was in 1985 in a song I wrote titled "Vietnam" where I use the whole step method for the first time.It's dated and copyrighted.Â
Thanks for your thoughts though
Bill Price (Whole-step inventor)

     On Friday, December 5, 2014 11:42 AM, Brendan Power <bren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 I noticed that Bill Price wrote, in response to Richard Hunter, that his
claimed original idea of stacked diatonics a whole tone apart

â...is the obvious impetus for Mr. powersâ âwhole-tone" product.â

Thatâs not correct, Bill. It might even be described in this part of the
world as a load of old bollocks.

The Twin-Harmonica System is a complicated piece of kit. It didnât pop out
of nowhere in the last few months, and certainly not as a result of your
simplistic bolted-together diatonics. I have been working on making a double
chromatic for over 20 years, and have laboriously hand-made several
prototypes in that time. The first was made in 1993/94 and it was two
chromatics a tone apart. You can see the photos here, under the
âFrankenharpsâ tab::

http://www.brendan-power.com/harpgeeks.php

Secondly, âyourâ idea of stacking diatonic harmonicas together by some
mechanism is not new, and has been patented in several versions over the
years. Iâm rather surprised that you were granted a patent for it actually.
Here are some earlier patents along the same lines:

A nifty spring-loaded double harmonica holder to make playing two stacked
harmonicas less nose-irritating:

https://www.google.com/patents/US4713999?dq=harmonica+holder
<https://www.google.com/patents/US4713999?dq=harmonica+holder&hl=en&sa=X&ei=
TN2BVNCCDoGwPaXYgbgF&ved=0CDIQ6wEwAzgo>
&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TN2BVNCCDoGwPaXYgbgF&ved=0CDIQ6wEwAzgo

Just about every double harp coupling configuration you could think of in
this one:

https://www.google.com/patents/US1884150?dq=two+harmonicas
<https://www.google.com/patents/US1884150?dq=two+harmonicas&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JN
uBVIfaEsqr7Ab5y4DgCQ&ved=0CB4Q6wEwAA>
&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JNuBVIfaEsqr7Ab5y4DgCQ&ved=0CB4Q6wEwAA

This patent has a very similar system to Vern Smithâs Hands Free Chromatic,
but for two diatonics:

https://www.google.com/patents/US1780368?dq=two+harmonicas
<https://www.google.com/patents/US1780368?dq=two+harmonicas&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JN
uBVIfaEsqr7Ab5y4DgCQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBA>
&hl=en&sa=X&ei=JNuBVIfaEsqr7Ab5y4DgCQ&ved=0CDkQ6AEwBA

Thatâs just a fewâ

I must say you do play your system well though. Good luck with it,

Brendan Power

WEBSITES:Â <http://www.brendan-power.com/> www.brendan-power.com â
www.x-reed.com <http://www.x-reed.com/>

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/BrendanPowerMusic