[Harp-L] "Exorbitant" Pricing

There's no such thing as exorbitant pricing. Nobody ever pays more than what they think something is worth. If what they are considering to buy is not of equal or greater value in their eyes to the value of the money in their pocket, the deal never gets made. If people think a product or service is worth the price charged, they'll pay it. I wonder if the people who complain about product pricing have ever been involved in manufacturing an actual product for sale, even in limited quantities.

As far as Brendan Power is concerned, the guy doesn't know me from Adam and he's been incredibly generous with letting me pick his brains for my electric harmonica idea. I think his twin harmonica system is very clever and, considering what a regular chromatic costs, his prices for two of them in a single mouthpiece with an additional slide and other related hardware is reasonable. I know that it will be a challenge to get the retail price of my electric harp below $300 and still be able to turn a profit.

I just got back from a Guitar Center store where I picked up a Lee Oskar harp in E so I could play along with the Rolling Stones' Midnight Rambler, which I'm told is in B. For some reason I never got an E harp before. Anyhow, they have everything from $99 Chinese Squire Strats to guitars from the custom shops of Gibson, Fender and Paul Reed Smith that cost thousands. I know plenty of guitar players who think charging a hundred bucks for a cheap Chinese "Fender" is exorbitant and that thousands for a Kalamazoo era Gibson Les Paul is reasonable.