Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic harmonica for smaller mouths?

Why not get a smaller chromatic harmonica? One where the octave notes are ONLY 4 holes apart instead of FIVE?

The obvious solution is to replace the solo tuned chromatic with a richter tuned  chromatic like the Hohner slide harp or the Koch harp. -- if you can still find one. Both have levers but follow the richter CEGCEG pattern rather than the solo tuned CEGCCEGC (note the double Cs --one for each octave.

In addition to putting the octaves one note closer to each other, both the Slide Harp and Koch bends notes just like the standard  Marine Bands or blues harps. Both are built on the larger 10-hole body (not the small body of most diatonics). But even with the larger body (just like standard solo tuned chromatics) it's still easier to play octaves.

Calling the harps chromatic is a bit of a misnomer because the A note is missing in the first octave--the only way to get that note is draw bend the 3 hole.

The Slide Harp is half-valved, has windsavers on first 6 draw reeds, allowing blow bends on the first six holes. The half-valving also reduces the air leakage. The Koch has no valves and leaks badly (and contrary to the misinformed, does not bend notes any better than the Slide Harp).

While a search shows both the Slide Harp and Koch on the web, I seem to recall reading that they were discontinued by Hohner. Both harps were sold in the keys of C and G, then only the  C was offered.

Anyone who wants  Richter button chromatic can buy a special order from Seydel built on its 12-hole DeLuxe chromatic. To make the harp extra special, the layout can be ordered as a double-richter layout. that means the blues harp layout of the first three holes is repeated for the second set of three holes. The double-richter pattern provides two octaves of bent notes. Be sure to add the half-valving to cut down on air leakage  The double-richter also adds octaves of all the notes in the first (two) octaves.

With the first octave as LOW, the second octave as standard, tongue-slapped notes are fully playable on that second octave (unlike in a standard richter blues harp where the tongue runs out of notes to slap. The allows playing the C E G A Bb* run with  tongue slaps in that second octave instead of having to settle for playing C E G A B in the second octave.

*The Bb is a bent note; for those who overblow -- no problem. But for the rest of us, a bent note might be easier and sound better!

The other thing is that most harmonicas today come in one of three tunings: Just (the original diatonic tuning) a compromise tuning (Just tuning sweetened) and equal temperament (like the piano). All three tunings are available from Seydel. Plus it can be ordered in any key  -- not just C. Play with guitars, order a sharp key. Play with horns, get a flat  key.

Most people don't worry about the equal temperament tuning of the solo tuned chromatic but if this is a concern about having a chromatic that sounds just like a diatonic, changing the tuning might be a consideration.

An online price for the standard Seydel DeLuxe chromatic was $178 --so it's not a cheap harp. The Slide Harp is offered for $145 on the web.

One of the problems with playing octaves on a chromatic is throwing the jaw out of alignment. Several professional harmonica players suffer from this affliction.

Also, if you're playing blues chromatic, you can play anything you want with a richter or double-richter chromatic harp. No limit. Who cares if Little Walter never played it that way?

Hope this helps.
Phil