Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic harmonica for smaller mouths?

Hi Dan,

If you are trying to get chromatic octaves to play third-position blues
(like George Smith, Rod Piazza, and William Clarke), and you find that the
chrom is just too big, you can do a really good approximation of that sound
on the diatonic.  I could record a clip of myself doing it on the diatonic
and send you an mp3 if you'd like.

The trick is that on the low end of the diatonic harp you only open your
mouth over four holes and block the two in the middle.  Higher up the harp
(middle register onwards) you have to open up over five holes and block the
three in the middle.  The middle register of the diatonic harp is tuned the
same as each four-hole section of the chrom, so you can get phrasing a that
are really close to what you would play on the chromatic.

I do this sometimes because my amplified "cup" is great with the diatonic,
but I have a much harder time getting quite as full a sound when cupping
the chrom.

The main drawback to this is that you don't have a button...  But this may
not be the biggest deal if third position blues is what you're looking to
do.  Piazza rarely uses the button although William Clarke definitely used
it more.  So you won't be able to duplicate the button using this diatonic
trick, but it does sound pretty good.

Additionally, there is a Marine Band - style harp that is solo tuned (like
a chromatic).  Someone on the list will know the model number, etc. It's
something like twelve or fourteen holes.

Bill

--
William Lifford, CP
Progressive O&P, Inc.