[Harp-L] deburring slide

Dick did recommend it, perhaps Blackie as well...

The wire brush, used for cleaning the spark plugs on cars, among other things, works.... and using after that some crocus cloth, mine says "JW N-72" I have no idea what it means, but it's a bit hard to find, but I did, so you can. I also use it to make the ends of the reeds as smoothly cut as the factory folks think it already is....can remove any errant bits of detritus that may be left over from the birth process.

I put the slide, and the other bits that surround it, on a flat piece of metal, really the bottom side of a metal knife sharpener for  oboe reed knives, (you've all got one of those, right?) and rub in the direction that the slide will be moving in.... getting the edges of the slide and the u-channel that it sits in also is helpful..

there's nothing like the feeling of a smooth slide... and there's a straight line for anyone willing to take a shot.

On Apr 20, 2014, at 5:26 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Didn't Blackie Shcackner recommend a brass-bristled wire brush? Or was it Dick Gardner?

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.