Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic Solo (Rob Paparozzi)

Rob certainly followed Tommy’s rule and did a superb job making the artist sound good.  Wonderfully restrained and tasteful playing indeed.

I should point out, however, that “underplaying” isn’t always what is desired, especially for instrumental recordings.  I’m currently recording a bluegrass/swing instrumental CD with some of the top bluegrass virtuosos and instructed them to go all out, never hold back, and be as flashy and fast as they desire.  If my harmonica solo is overshadowed, then I try rising to the challenge by recording a better solo.  In the end, I want a CD where everyone is a star, we all get about the same number of solos, and goal is a high quality CD.  (I’m not underestimating, however, the importance of providing a great backup and support for each soloist.)