[Harp-L] Chromatic Solo (Rob Paparozzi)

Oh, ok....really nothing to add.... Rob's got it.....should be common sense, but apparently often isn't.  Like Rob typed, The Rule is  just to keep in mind whose album it is.... not a difficult concept, unless you're a tenor sax player and finally have an eight bar solo on a tune on a promising album, in an easy key, and you think it's your stepping stone to musical stardom and financial freedom and have visions of never again having to play "In The Mood" for people to dance to after people hear what will be your life-changing, 8-bar, 35-lick, solo.

And yes, I know that guy. There are lots of him here.

If you're still in The Business, chances are, you instinctively follow that rule already.

As a woodwind doubler, my own favorite rule is for section playing, which is not what most harmonica players are involved in.

The rule is that your job is to make the people around you sound good.

Back when there was Work, Tommy and I worked in woodwind sections on a bunch of TV shows where he sounded pretty good, and my rule lets me take full credit for him sounding good. I'm sure he still appreciates me for helping him out. (I'm sure he agrees with me.. .Right? Tom?)

P.S. In the example above, one could change "tenor sax" to "Harp" and still be valid. I  don't know what the Free Reed counterpart to "In The Mood" is, but I'm sure it exists. Think of it as the tune you're asked to play multiple times a night, that the audience loves but the band is really tired of, and if you hear "one more time" just one more time, bad things will happen.

Yeah, THAT tune.

On Apr 18, 2014, at 8:09 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> OK Rob and/or Jon.
>
> Please Please tell us. What are Tommy Morgan's "Rules of Playing Solos on Other People's albums‰.

jon kip
http://jonkip.com

player of music, mostly written by dead people and played on a toy that everybody's Uncle except my nephew's has the good sense to keep safely out of sight in a drawer.