[Harp-L] free ebook of Basic Jazz Theory

If you're stuck on a plateau, you might want to check this book out. As the cliche goes, it's a down-to-earth explanation of how music and jazz work.

The thing I like about the Basic Jazz Theory is that I am familiar with all but three of the "15 easy jazz melodies to learn now" that he lists on page 10.

If you would like to learn a bit about jazz theory, this free ebook -- which means you can open a pdf file online for the 80-page book called Basic Jazz Theory.

<http://www.allabouttrumpet.com/BJT/free-stuff.html>

All a beginner, comeback player, or serious student of jazz needs to know about jazz theory, it says in the blurb.

Once you open the web page, just click on the line in the middle of the page that says Free eBook Basic Jazz Theory, v. 1.

(You can also buy the book for $7.95 in Kindle, Nook or paperback editions.)

The author, Jonathan Harnum, is also the author of "Basic Music Theory: How to Read, Write and Understand Written Music," "Sound the Trumpet, How to Blow Your Own Horn," and "All about Trumpet."

(Jonathan Harnum  has played trumpet for over 30 years, has taught music more than 20 years and is in the final stages of earning a PhD in music education from Northwestern University.)

But just because he is a trumpet player, I wouldn't hold that against him. I have looked over the first 12 pages so far and find that it is not trumpet specific. In other words, you don't have to play trumpet to get it. It features piano keyboard and fretboard layouts among the information.

Besides, if you do it right, you can open the pdf on your screen and read through this slim volume to decide whether you want to read the rest.

As those  who have mentioned that Jamey Aebersold website and collection of playalong books, in spite of the title, you don't have to be a jazz player to profit from this Basic Jazz Theory or any of the Aebersold books and recordings.

Or as somebody once said, Jamey Aebersold books are for those who didn't go to conservatory or university to study music but want the same knowledge.

Hope this helps,

Phil