Re: [Harp-L] Harpmaster vs session

The following is a quote from the Suzuki claims:

"The bendable laser tuned phosphor bronze reeds produce the clarity and rich, mellow tones you would expect from much more expensive harmonicas."

"bendable":  All reeds of any material are "bendable". If they were not, they could not function.

"laser-tuned": This may be an efficient manufacturing process but confers no advantage in performance over other equally accurate tuning processes. A reed doesn't remember how it got tuned.

"phosphor-bronze":  This is a good spring and reed material and should be less subject to fatigue than brass.  They didn't make this one claim that might be justified.

"clarity":  Most players use hand-cupping, mics and amps to distort the natural sound of their harps indicating that they don't want clarity.

"rich mellow tones":  There is no theory or evidence that reed material has a perceptible effect on tone.  I have a harmonica with one SS reed that no one has been able to distinguish from its 47 brass neighbors.  What do "rich" and "mellow" mean in terms of spectrum or wave-form? Do they indicate an absence of high frequencies?

Vern