[Harp-L] Re: Problems with tongue articulation

Knowing that you've played another wind instrument may be helpful.

Wind direction, velocity, and pressure on other instruments can be very specific.

When playing the harmonica, the default airflow should be as gentle as possible, with no pressure and no specific direction of the air beyond moving air in and out of your body through the oral cavity. (Bending pitches is another matter, and you're already getting that as a side effect while trying to do other things.)

Listen to the sound of your breathing. If you can hear it, you're impeding the airflow. Breathing should be silent.

Try placing the palm of your hand 2cm in front of your open mouth and breathing on it gently and silently. If you can breathe so softly that you feel the warmth of your breath but not the wind, that's all you need to activate a harmonica reed into sound.

Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Spring 2014 Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance