[Harp-L] Re: Question about harps played by Bobby Darin

fjm wrote:

> If you really want a striking example of the varying price points and
> quality levels of the Hohner diatonic line watch this video.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVk9fe72-EA
>
> Annie Raines who is one of the more accomplished harmonica players I've
> heard demos various Hohner harmonicas.  I know we all tend to want to
> say it's the player not the instrument but it's also true that once you
> reach a level of competence on an instrument what you can accomplish can
> be limited by the instrument you're playing.  Witness Annie being
> limited by a Bluesband.

She's not playing a Bluesband like mine, but anyway the comparison she makes is very enlightening. I don't know the exact price of my harp, since it was a gift, but when I saw it was made in China I thought it would be one of the cheapest models Hohner have. That's why I thought I'd get another one soon. I'm fully conscious of the fact that I won't start playing better only because my harp is better, but since good harps are available at reasonable prices, I want to make sure a bad harp is not a hindrance to my learning.

Anyway, the best part of it is that I you have pointed out Annie Raines to me. From what I've already seen and heard on YouTube, she's top notch!

Eliza Doolittle