Re: [Harp-L] Playing but not hearing

Indeed, Aongus!

I find that cupping the ear, rather than sticking a finger right in, works well, though my missus regards this as an affectation, unfortunately. Shades of Ewan MacColl. An important no-cost solution is to choose carefully where you sit. Proximity to bodhran players drives me mad. We've now banned them from our session. Sitting as far away as possible from box-players is also a good idea, as they sound far too much like you. Avoid sitting directly opposite a banjo (unless he or she is top notch) or a loud strummer, as the wall of sound in your face stops you from hearing anyone else, including yourself. Ideally, sit next to a good melody player - I find fiddle players to be the best. You can hear them and latch on to their playing, a good connection to the rest of the gathering.

Slightly more costly is choice of harmonicas. Recently I've relied greatly on my three XB40s, in G, A and low D. They have the volume to cut through the mix, unlike most unamplified standard blues harps (unless you're blessed with quietness around the session area and a smallish and sensitive gathering).  If you're playing them all night, though, you need plenty of puff. I've also found that my two Tombo Band tremolos, in D and G, have a nice, bright tone that cuts through very well.  Or you could go the Rick way and build yourself some of those bunker-buster octave harps made from chrom parts.

I'm fortunate in that (owing to a shortage of melody players in our remote, rural non-Ireland area)
the other fellows allow me to use a small battery amp (Roland Mobile Cube) and my discreet Microvox setup. I've been trying to rely on it less and less recently, managing as much as I can with my louder harps, but it's nice every now and then to be able to play without feeling that you're trying to fill a hot-air balloon!

I discovered a couple of years ago that I had lost the high frequencies from my hearing, something (unbelievably) I had been completely unaware of. The tiny hearing aids I now wear have completely transformed my ability to hear what's going on in our sessions. Just thought I'd mention that.