Re: [Harp-L] Pokey LaFarge, Ryan Koenig on harp +

Hello, L'ers!

I'm posting because I am getting increasingly excited about a band new to me, "Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three."

I'm a sucker for old-timey music, especially when a fine harp player is in the mix. Last time I went nuts over a new to me old-timey sound was after discovering The WIYOS with Michael Farkas. Still ga-ga over them, but Pokey brings an entirely new and unique sound to my ears.

The really cool thing, and the reason I am writing about this on Harp-L, is because the South City Three includes a terrific harmonica player with a unique style name of Ryan Koenig who, like Farkas, is also a washboard Master. Koenig also plays a mean snare drum when the occasion calls for it.

I'll just testify that my son, a major metal fan who idolizes Les Claypool and "Primus" took my advice and took his girlfriend to see Pokey et. al. last night in Detroit. He came away reporting that it was far and away the best concert he had ever seen. I can't wait until they come within driving distance!

Check this Youtube video that is fairly representative of their act. http://youtu.be/NTUBRE4aEwA

Michelle