Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 09:12:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 3rd position?
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Brendan uses his own special tunings, so all bets are off.

The tune is in G and third position would be on a low F diatonic or chromatic -and he's playing a chromatic.

Note that the opening warble sounds like Draw 4/5 (G and Bb) in third position. But then he plays a higher G as a blow note followed by F as a draw note (not third position, because both notes would be in the opposite breath direction) and then comes down to G again as a draw note.

Also, he's playing a chromatic and using the slide. His first slide twiddle goes F# (draw, slide in) to F-natural (draw slide out). Again, this doesn't work on a standard F chromatic (or on an E chromatic, where 10th position could be played like 3rd with the slide held in).

So I'm afraid that Brendan appears to be using a special tuning (on what looks like a Hering 7148 from the clear injection-molded comb).

Winslow
Winslow Yerxa
ïïïïïïïïïïï Harmonica Basics For Dummies, ASIN B005KIYPFS
ïïïïïïïïïïï Blues Harmonica For Dummies, ISBN 978-1-1182-5269-7
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance