Re: [Harp-L] auto-valve harp

without soaking it, you could air it out for a week. You might try rinsing you mouth with a minty mouth-wash and blowing through every few hours. This might eliminate the musty aroma.

I own one I bought in 1970 ($6.25) and played it about 10 times -- not really knowing what I had. Later, I realized it had the Richter layout just like the standard 10 hole Marine Band and played in octaves. I don't have mine in front of me but Pat Missin reminds me that the top row has the low octave note and the bottom row has the high octave note.

As you may know by now, harmonica players almost never play harmonicas in the key intended or in the manner born. In this case, the autovalve offers diatonic octave playing which is much louder than the standard diatonic.

But some people take advantage of the two octaves by playing them separately -- tilting the harp  to play the notes in the top row alone or the bottom row alone instead of together the way Hohner intended.

Each channel contains a blow and draw reed side-by-side.  But this may prevent bending like in the standard Richter tuned harps.

Some people use them for Cajun, Old Timey and Irish music -- but they are fun for folksongs, too!

Check out Pat Missin's page:

<http://www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q15.html>

Hope this helps
Phil