[Harp-L] Reed gapping questions

I liked your informative post on this topic. From what I have gleaned from
this list and elsewhere, it seems that large gaps are for hard players and
small gaps for more gentle players. From what I understand this is only a
matter of response - in whether the reed decides to vibrate or not and that
it does not have much or anything to do with tone. What I find interesting
is that this is the first time I have seen anyone suggest an objective
physical measurement of soft and hard blowing:  "0.5 ins. Water gauge is
gentle playing and 10 -12 ins. Water gauge is going fairly hard".

I made a simple U Tube manometer from transparent fuel tubing years ago for
the purpose of balancing twin carburettors on VW and Porsche engines. I am
beginning to wonder whether I might be able to stick the end of the tube
into my mouth ahead of the tin sandwich and establish where I stand in the
"hard blowing stakes"

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana