Re: [Harp-L] groove?

On Sep 10, 2013, at 10:58 PM, JON KIP wrote:

> I'm curious as to if anyone who's been reading along on this fine discussion of swing and/or groove feels that their actual playing has the potential of being changed by virtue of what's been discussed.

I'm not so sure that talking about groove or swing would produce anything. At least not for me. And you know me. My world revolves around me. I would think that actually working at it..in other words playing around and experimenting might be more beneficial. Like today. I was doing the big NO NO. I was driving a desolate back road and playing along with various Doo-Wop CDs, and trying to not only get the keys straight...and there WERE a bunch of keys I (swear) I had never heard before. Like H, for example.

As I cruised along at 50 in a 60 zone, I also tried to groove or swing....without making a giant groove in the road with my face. Now I hear that this is dangerous. No, not the me trying to groove part. The driving and playing part. BUT, feature this. I hadn't seen a car coming the other way for 4 minutes. This means that if we each had an average speed of .833 mi per minute, that we started by being 6 & 2/3rds miles apart. And of course when the other car got close, I put down the chromatic. Might have been an unmarked car.

> This is not meant to be sarcastic, but I'm truly curious.

My spies had warned me that you were like that.

> I realize that I  AM known tg be somewhat sarcastic by nature,

I would have used the term 'dry humor'.

> which probably stems from some deep-seated lack of self-esteem, or my family's history of persistent inbreeding, but in this case, I'm not being sarcastic. Really. If I could find the "I'm not being  sarcastic" emoticon, I'd paste it here...

I'll trust you on that.

smo-joe