Re: [Harp-L] Jazz Ensemble

On Sep 9, 2013, at 9:39 PM, Tin Lizzie wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2013, at 9:10 PM, Joseph Leone wrote:
>

>> On Sep 9, 2013, at 8:44 PM, Tin Lizzie wrote:
>>> But how does an ensemble, playing live, control the chaos so that it all still sounds like  *something*?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Tin Lizzie
>>>

>> When the musicians are playing together, it has to be structured. When playing solo, it 'can be' unstructured
>
> Ahh-HA!!!!  Y’all ARE in cahoots!
>
> So...  For the jazz jam at SPAH, do you pass around lead sheets beforehand?

Oooh no, not at THAT jam. We didn't have a lot of team playing. I think only one pair. The band usually knows the tunes by rote.  Some of the players know the tunes by rote, and some of them 'ear' play them. No lead sheets. No sheets at all. ...except, when we go to sleep....if we're lucky....and can afford them....Hopefully clean ones.

>  Is there a place where I can sign up to get the memo?  Not that I intend to crash that party (ahem, yet), but I’m trying to get edukated.

Ha ha, everyone analyzes jazz to death. 'I' actually have long felt that it was this over analyzing and running it through the schools as if it were some kind of mystery that MUST be dissected and explained, that helped knock jazz down to a niche genre. Jazz is  M E R E L Y  self expression of musical compositions. No more no less.