From: greg@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: timeistight@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 2013-09-09 18:30:21 GMT
Subject: [Harp-L] Re:RP vs amp

I'm a traditionalist. I LOVE the sound of a good player with a good mic on a good tube amp. But you know what? Amps and an RP pedal are DIFFERENT. Comparison is valid. And choosing EITHER is ok too. SOME people like an RP because they can dial up a bunch of different sounds with the tap of the foot. Some people like it because they can't or don't want to lug a 50 pound amp around. I think those are totally defensible reasons. I've never heard anyone claim it sounds "exactly like a tube amp" - but just in case anyone interprets this challenge as suggesting than an amp simulation pedal through a PA sounds "exactly like a tube amp" - I beg to differ and am happy to prove it. But I hope I don't have to. Frankly I'd be disappointed if what I just said is even controversial. I don't think Richard Hunter would disagree, for example.

/Greg

On Sep 9, 2013, at 5:16 PM, Arthur Jennings <timeistight@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This was done at the 2009 SPAH in Sacramento by Richard Hunter and the late Chris Michalek. Richard's RP was run into a Peavey keyboard; Chris's pedalboard was run into Jason Ricci's Harp Gear 50.
>
> My recollection is that the crowd preferred Chris's setup.
>

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Greg Heumann <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jerry - I assume you mean to compare an amp to an RP CONNECTED TO A modern PA. Right?
>
> I'd like to hear that test. I volunteer the ampâ..
>
> /Greg
>
> > From: Jerry Deall <jdeall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: [Harp-L] RP355/amp comparrison
> > Date: September 9, 2013 3:19:52 PM PDT
> > To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
> > Cc: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >

> > So we've all seen the comb debates, cover plate debates, amp comparison, etc......
> > I'd like to hear a blind comparison between an RP and some good harp amps. Same mic, same player(s) with the equipment behind a screen.
> >
> > What do you say Richard, next SPAH?
> >

> --
> Arthur Jennings
> http://www.timeistight.com