Re: [Harp-L] RP355 + Korg Pandora

Robert Hale wrote:
<When the RP feeds another processor (Korg Pandora) in the chain, would I
<use RP's MIXER output or the AMP output? (Button switch)
<
<And what is the essential difference in these two output choices? Level?
<EQ? Impedance?

The RP's MIXER/AMP button essentially turns cabinet modeling on and off--MIXER=cabinet on, AMP=cabinet off.  I don't know how the cab modeling does what it does--a quick guess is that it's some kind of convolution processing, which means digitally applying a certain sonic signature (like a reverb) to a signal--but I know for sure that the cab modeling makes a BIG difference in the sound.  Try setting up a patch on the RP and scrolling through all the cabinet models--the differences are obvious.

If the Pandora has no cab modeling of its own--or even if it does--I'd use the MIXER setting, and I'd turn the Pandora's cab modeling off.  I have no doubt that the RP's cab modeling is better than anything in the Pandora.

That aside, what's the point of putting the Pandora in the chain?  Isn't that the device whose output was too noisy for recording?  Putting it in front of the RP means the RP will amp the noise; putting it after the RP means the RP will be filtered with noise.  If you want more FX than the RP355 can provide by itself, consider picking up a used RP150 or 155 to go with it.  Those can be acquired in good to very good condition for less than $30 in many cases, and the quality of the FX is MUCH better than a Pandora's.  I'm just sayin'.

If you still want to use the Pandora, or even if you go with another RP, consider using a signal splitter (or an ABY pedal) so you can run the devices in parallel, as opposed to inline in a single FX chain.  Lots of FX that sound like hell in series work very well in parallel.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick