Re: [Harp-L] Working on groove

You are talking about the "envelope" of a single note.

Simplified, it consists of attack, sustain and cut off.

Attack is what happens when silence explodes into sound.

Sustain is the sound hanging in the air.

Cut off is the end of the sound.

On harmonica, attack and cut off are mostly controlled by whether you use starting/stopping breath or the tongue to shape it through a consonant approach ("T", "D", "K", etc)

Jerry Portnoy talks about this in his Harmonica Master Class CD/book set.

He called it soft attack or hard.

You can create a note by the following "words"....   "HUH", "TUH", "TUT" and "HUT".

Soft is using "H" and hard is using "T".

Try creating 4 hole exhale note using the four approaches listed above and you will start to notice the differences between different attacks and cut offs.

The "U" in the middle is the sustain, which you control by your breath, mouth cavity, tongue placement, etc., to shape the note sound, add vibrato, etc.

It's worth spending a little time with each permutation until you fully understand them and decide which ones to use at what point in your playing to create your own unique sound.