Re: [Harp-L] A tipping point for used Digitech RP prices?

Bob Cohen wrote:
<can you run the RPs through the PA with no amp? How does the amp modeling do with the boutique harp amps like the Sonny Jr series?

Yes, you can run the RP through a PA.  A keyboard amp or powered PA speaker is a good substitute. Since the RP models the amp and cab, you want whatever amplifies the RP to be as clean as possible.

If you're running a Sonny Jr with the RP, either you want the Sonny Jr to just make the RP louder, or you want the tone of the Sonny Jr combined with the RP.  The latter is basically what Steve Baker does when he runs the RP as a front end to his Marble Max amp.  Keep in mind that either way, the RP's amp and cab modeling will change the sound of the SJ.  You can also run the RP in front of the SJ without amp and cabinet modeling--in other words, use the RP as a multiFX device instead of an amp modeler.  That way you can use the RP's distortions, delay, reverb, modulation FX, etc. with the sound of your own amp.  The RP500 and RP1000 have dedicated bypass switches for this purpose, and the RP1000 has an "amp loop" that you can use to bring your amp's sound directly into the RP.

I prefer to run my RP into the PA or a keyboard amp whenever possible, so I know exactly what it's going to sound like.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick