Re: [Harp-L] Blues jam too big now

On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:04 AM, Warren Bee <wbharptime2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) When the circle gets big it is a long time before it makes its way all
> of the way around.

Warren is definitely right. Joe does a great job wrangling all the cats (double entendre intended). However, it does take a long time to go around the circle during which it's all too easy to detach from the song. In addition to enduring a shuffle in E for 8,000 verses, it's nerve wracking to listen to all the great solos preceding and wondering how I'm going to 1. contribute to the musical conversation without playing a "me too" solo and 2. measure up the talent in the circle.

The one thing I do like about the late night jam, and this might make it worthwhile no matter what, is having an opportunity to make music with some of the most talented harp players on the planet. When else does a semi-pro harp player like me get to play alongside Rick Estrin, or Jason Ricci, or Charles Spranklin or Jimi Lee or Michael Rubin or Christelle, or Jay Gaunt or Todd Parrot or Chris Michalek etc.?

My best jamming memories, however, come from the accidental couch jams with small groups. I remember one time sitting with Slideman Slim stumbling through some jazz on my chromatic along side various luminaries. Everyone was so generous it didn't matter that I could barely keep up. Or the time I hung with Todd Parrot and a few other guys or the time I sat at a table by the pool in the dark with Andy Garigue and some other guys and a guitar player or when I stumbled upon a small bluegrass jam at VA Beach and discovered that a blues boy like me could contribute.

But those impromptu jams require an outgoing personality and good timing. Maybe we could set up the jam equivalent of speed dating and have a number of smaller circles with volunteer guitar players going at various times during the day and night. The hard part, I think, is finding enough guitar players to go around. SPAH is a harmonica convention after all.

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com
t: #itsabobworld