Re: [Harp-L] re: Blues jam too big now

You have to learn to manage as you grow. Doing the same thing the same way as the participants increase is a recipe for failure.

Reformat.

Acoustic blues jam should start to split into smaller units spread apart. More guitarist accompanists would logically follow.

Take a tip from Augusta Heritage Blues Week....have a "Slow Blues Jam" for beginners.

Watch out for cliques forming.

Each individual blues jam could focus on different blues elements - different grooves - only 1 st position playing in this group, only third in that group, etc. Jammers may then move around to experience different aspects of diatonic blues approaches.

Smaller units lead to more participation by those in the circle, non-boring vamping, easier to hear each other, etc.

I don't know much about the jazz jams except for the comments posted, but the back up trio should mostly avoid soloing and be totally supportive of the soloing, each harmonica player should get no more than two times through the form.

So much is pretty intuitive in how to improve these situations.