Re: [Harp-L] Tweed Champ substitute.

On Oct 31, 2013, at 1:19 PM, martin oldsberg <martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry, not meaning to be a killjoy, but I fought valiantly with one of those a couple of decades ago -- lost every time. Tried equalizers, various mics, prayers and what have you.

No worries Martin. You're not being a kill joy. I have long since replaced that with a SJ II, which I love. Back in the day, I didn't know any better and believed the guy from Wurlitzer's Music who told me Paul Butterfield used a Champ. What he did not understand or neglected to share was that Butterfield's was an entirely different amplifier with the same name. I quickly abandoned it and ended up playing through the PA for many years. It has sat in my basement for a long time1--until I took up guitar. It's very suitable for that purpose. Nevertheless, staring at it every day got me to wondering if there were anything I could do to increase its utility. The consensus is no, which is no problem for me. :-)

-Bob

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com