Re: [Harp-L] Substitute for tweed champ

Barry Bean wrote:
<I've been out of the scene for several years, playing only the
<occasional sit in and studio gigs, but I'm starting to pick up a few
<more harp gigs. I have a great 6X8 Sonny Jr Bassman clone amp that's
<great for big rooms or battling obnoxious guitarists, but I've been
<using my mid-50s tweed champ for gigs with a decent sound man or small
<rooms.
<Unfortunately, it's beginning to pick up a few crackles it didn't used
<to have, and a quick check of prices show it's worth a whole lot more
<than the $250 I paid for it in 1990 or so.
<So I'm thinking I should set it aside with my 54 Les Paul amp for studio
<use only and get something a little newer and more easily replaceable
<for gigs.

I propose that you consider picking up a Digitech RP device--RP155/255/355/500--and couple it with a moderately sized keyboard amp.  You can get a used RP255 in good or better condition for less than $100; a decent keyboard amp (one with at least a 10" speaker) will run you in the neighborhood of $250 new; and my patch set for the 255 will run you another $30. If you've got access to a PA for your gigs, you can skip the keyboard amp and run the RP straight to the PA.  In terms of sheer grunt, a keyboard amp in that price range will put you in the neighborhood of a Fender Blues Jr, i.e. loud enough for a band playing a room with 80 people or so in it, and of course a PA is usually the loudest amp in the room, wherever the room is.

This setup is much more flexible than a traditional amped setup, and it produces convincing amped blues sounds as well as a lot of other stuff. You can find audio and video of players using it at http://hunterharp.com/store.   As an added bonus, the RP can be used as an FX device with any amp you choose to couple it with; the delays and reverbs are especially nice for blues players, and are easily the equal of dedicated FX costing as much as an RP.

Thanks, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick