Re: [Harp-L] for hohner 270 deluxe owners, probably a small crew at most

thanks for the answers...

just to be clear, yes I get that the non wood is a good answer, but the 270 deluxe has 5 or 7 bolts and their pattern  and the comb are unique to that instrument. IF I could get someone to make non wood combs for the deluxe specifically, it would be tempting. In case any comb maker is reading this,  I'm looking for a color of comb that will really go well with my light blue jeans and tshirt and make it appear that I can play pretty well, but I'd try anything you have to offer.

And yes, Vern, I take into consideration all the things mentioned, the u channel resizing high on the list. After all, I do read your fine posts, adn they go into my "notes from Dick and Vern" virtual basket.

The issue with the wood combs is that the tolerances are such that, with even a small amount of self-resizing that SOME of the combs do, makes for things to hit other things in a somewhat less than musical manner. Some judicious sanding really helps things.

I also think that more fully aging the wood might be the plan...I know a few instrument makers, and oboes and clarinets are made from wood that's been aging since a dime could buy us two of something worthwhile...

I can deal with all this silly stuff, the time spent tweaking my chromatics just replaces the time I used to have to spend making oboe reeds....and in the end, with the oboe playing, all you get is a constant stream of lots of money, a pension, a health plan and so on, whereas with the chromatic harmonica...

oh, I think I just made a point, but I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not sure it bodes well for anything and I'll stop before I realize where my life is headed....