Re: [Harp-L] help with acompanying Piano

don't think of it as you accompanying the piano, but the piano accompanying you.

Try to imagine that you are playing a blues melody...long tones, simple single notes. Keep in mind that the piano has a gospel minor third sound to the I chord as he plays it, so be mindful to not play three hole inhale, but choose three hole inhale first bend...a la blues scale on the harmonica in 2nd position.

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew MacFadyen <drew@xxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Oct 15, 2013 3:36 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] help with acompanying Piano

Hi Harp-l folks.  Our churchâs music director has requested that I
accompany him at the piano and I am struggling with what to play and how to
accompany the piano.  I have never played with a pianist before.  He played
what he called a blues progression and I just looped it to try and work
something out/practice with, but I am still struggling.  I uploaded the
loop of his playing 12 bars to youtube -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYoz4iBZSNs&feature=youtu.be

Any suggestions, or even better, samples of playing over piano in a similar
fashion would be MUCH appreciated.  Youâre welcome to record over the track
too (if you want an Mp3 of it just email me off list).  This is a bit
outside my comfort zone, but I guess itâs time I stretch and do something
different.  Oh, and he wants me to play Sunday J.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, recommendations or samples.

Regards,

*Drew MacFadyen*