Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Blues from Thailand/Laos !!

Hal Walker has played a Khaen for a while now and made it extremely
interesting for many of us. Some time ago I posted some vids of him and master
players from Thailand playing Khaens. Hal brought his to the last Garden State
 Harmonica Festival in November, 2011, wowing the crowds and all the kids
who  follow him around as though he's the Pied Piper. He has a unique ability
to  connect with kids and adults alike. Like MadCat he also enjoys playing
many  instrumentals--even has a beatboxing vid playing a jaws' harp (the
Khaen doesn't show up until 3:42 or thereabouts):

http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=klscV2Y_mVg

THIS version of him improv-ing with a group of guys called 'Ball In the
House' in a stairwell blew me away:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqF2E07XTg

I immediately wanted to buy a Khaen :)
But after reading some of his comments (on youtube), it seems the best
sounding ones are bought directly from the makers IN Thailand (where he got
his).

He came to SPAH and then joined with Al and Judy Smith to play harmonica
and sing with them in a new trio, but more recently Hal survived a very
frightening near-drowning which killed a fellow camper at JP Allen's harmonica
retreat last year on Hawaii. I don't know how well he is doing lately--but
sure  hope he's feeling much better and getting back to his great playing.

Elizabeth
PS: I LOVED the Stevie Ray Vaughn song too. How cool was that? She was so
into the music!

Message: 8