Re: [Harp-L] Progression

HI Tony-

Do a little experiment:

Grab your C harp and play a 2D.  Make it as full and as nice as you are
able...try to "tune" your mouth, throat, lungs, and diaphragm to make it as
rich as you can.

Now do the same with the 3B.  Make it as full and rich as you can.

Hear the difference?  This is because on the draw, you are exercising your
body's ability to act as a resonating chamber (like the body of an acoustic
guitar, or a violin).  Sound travels on air, and if the air is *exiting *your
body...then there is substantially less opportunity for this resonant magic
to happen.  It's still there, but to a lesser degree on blow notes than
draw notes.

This is why the 2D is the first octave root note of choice in cross harp:
it just sounds better. The 3B is still very useful, some licks and scale
pattern runs are facilitated greatly by being able to pass easily through
3B instead of having to jump all the way down to the 2D.

But, I think I'm not alone when I say most players think of the 2D as the
"anchor" note when playing in 2pos.

Yes, you should begin to choose different notes depending on what chord the
band is playing.  There are two types of musicians (regardless of
instrument) in this regard: those who do it by ear/feel  and those who do
it by applying theory.  I suppose there is a third group too...those who do
both (which is what I do).  For a basic introduction to this concept on
harmonica in 2nd pos over 12 bar blues progressions, watch these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR1zbVkfc78
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bbgio8SxDQU

To apply this on your own...listen to a 12 bar blues backing track and hum
or whistle whatever sounds good over the progression...and record it.  Then
work out your own licks by finding those notes on the harp.

Imitate.  Assimilate.  Innovate.

All the best to you sir.

-ETM