Re: [Harp-L] Songs for practicing intonation? Bending on pitch

This all comes down to accurate bending. And it's easier than you think. If you can whistle on pitch and press a key on an electronic key board/ piano, you can get accurate bends.

Then will allow you to:
1. learn to bend
2. bend to pitch

You may need a
1. chromatic tuner ($20) ($5 for iPod, iPad, iPhone app)
2. electronic keyboard ($50-$100)

 Bending notes on the harmonica uses the exact embouchure used in standard whistling. I discovered this several years ago while I was teaching my Harmonica 101 class.Just recently I discovered that
several pro players explain bending the same way.

Most people who whistle don't pay much attention to how they change pitch -- lower it or raise it.
Whistle a ditty with various notes. High and low notes. Try the Saints if you can't think of a tune.

You are able to change the pitch of your whistle note by arching the anchor part of the tongue to change pitch and blow. It's that arch in the back of the tongue that changes the pitch. But don't worry about arching your tune. Just change the notes and it will happen automatically.

Just for demonstration purposes, find a keyboard and whistle a note. Find it on the keyboard. Lower the whistle note, find it on the keyboard. Now shift from the high note to the low note (matching it on the keyboard, and PAY attention to what it FEELS like in your throat. That is how a blow bend works. Holes 8, 9, 10.

This technique works for blow bends, overblows, valve=bends, chrome blow bends.

*EXTRA CREDIT: check the notes on your whistle  against a chromatic tuner (NOT a guitar tuner -- but a real chromatic-all note tuner). See if you can get the notes on pitch.

DRAW BENDS : The next step is much harder. It requires whistling on the inhale. Most people exhale when they whistle; very few inhale, although it can be done.

Since very few people whistle on the inhale it is much harder. But this is exactly how the draw bends are executed. Keep inhale whistling until you can get a sound. Then play a lower note. (use your chromatic tuner to tell whether you are making noise or notes.)

Once you get a handle on whistling notes, you can slap that draw whistle right on the harmonica and execute a draw bend or a blow whistle for a blow bend. That's because the size of your embouchure needed to whistle it about the exact same size as that needed for a good seal on a reed channel.

Part Two:

Now that you can lower and raise and adjust the pitch of your whistle, it's time to try it on the harmonica.

There are two ways to check your pitch. A Chromatic tuner will tell you if you are flat or sharp (too low or too high) or right on the money. Easier is to use an electronic keyboard to play the note you are bending to and match the pitch. If you are trying to learn the first bend on hole 2 (F), you can go to what you think in the half-step bend. But if you press the F on the keyboard and match the pitch you will know for sure.

If you can play the C scale in the first octave (F and A bends) then you are on your way.

For a trickier pattern try the walking bass line: based on scale notes 1 3 5 6 b7 for all three chords G, C, D. Use the keyboard to check the bend pitches.

Walking bass line. Take a C harmonica. Get your keyboard. Play the harp on draw 2, 3 ,4, +5, 5, 4, 3, 2 while matching the keys on the keyboard for the tonic I chord G. When you get to the C chord IV, it's blow 1, 2, 3, draw 3 =2nd bend (A,)1st bend (Bb), blow 3, 2, 1. For the V chord D, it's draw 1, draw bend 1 (F#), draw 3 2nd bend (A) , draw 3, blow 4.

PART THREE: Find the blow and draw notes on the keyboard. Blow 1 is C; draw 1 is D. Db/C# is the note between them. It is the bent note. All the draw bend notes work like this.

Blow 2 is E; draw 2 is G; the bent notes between are F#, F.

Blow 3 is G, draw 3 is B; the bent notes between them Bb, A, Ab.

These are the tricky bends. Match the keyboard for correct pitch.

Hope this helps

Phil

PS I learned to bend by the EEEEEoooow method for draw bends; it was only later I made the obvious connection with whistling.