Re: [Harp-L] Grégoire Maret

I really like both of the cuts posted by Gary and Robert.  I will get the
album with Take 6, who I also have been into for a long time.

There's an idea going around that maybe people don't "get" Gregoire's
playing because it's too advanced, and only in retrospect will we
understand.

I understand this point of view, but somewhat disagree with it.

I think he has a very glass-like sound and tends toward phrases that build
in intensity over time like a very slow boil.  I feel I have to listen to
how the solo builds over time and follow his train of thought to appreciate
his emotional expression.  The way he plays is less emotionally direct than
if he had a raw sound with cries and bends that would grab the listener
instantly.

I separate this aspect of his style from some of the complex harmonic lines
(poly tonality) and rhythms that is the content of his playing.  I imagine
that another player could play similar content, but with a more
direct/immediate emotional approach to which listeners would perhaps feel
more connected.

Just a thought....

Jason