[Harp-L] Gregorie Maret a different side

Since I get the digests I'm usually a day late in these conversations. Sorry if I'm bringing up dated info.

After I posted the Barrett vs. Maret topic yesterday, btw that was Bill Barrett not Dave Barrett, I went to YouTube and listened to more then an hour's worth of Gregorie's live recordings, a few studio recordings with non M-base musicians he backed, and 2 interviews.

I was previously of the same opinion of his playing as most of you. We probably heard the same tracks early in his career. It left me cold. A lot of notes with no foundation in melody, yada, yada, yada.

I tried to take an unbiased listen to his playing again yesterday. I played the vid's on my iphone through headphones and turned the phone over so I wasn't distracted by poor video images or suggestive images to create a mood. It was just the music that was being judged.

I have to say I really liked what I heard. It wasn't the same guy on those early recordings. He was playing on Toots and Hendrik's level of soulful yet intellectual approach to jazz. My favorite piece was the one he did with the vocal ensemble Take 6. I listened to both video interviews and came away with the feeling some of the musicians he backed were trying to steer him in a different direction. It wasn't so much him wanting to play the way he did on the recordings but it seemed more like he was being open to their suggestions to explore a different path. As a sideman you are at the direction or mercy of those hiring you. Apparently he delivered because some keep him in their company.

I would suggest hunt down the video's of him on YouTube and give a listen through headphones or good speakers.
Close your eyes and ignore the images on screen. He does have soul, and chops and can play a ballad without losing the audience in the process.

Take Care
mike
www.harmonicarepair.com