Re: [Harp-L] GrÃgoire Maret

Regarding the humbleness and great guy image that a lot of musicians propagate, in all fairness, this is usually when they are standing alone or in a situation in which they are the main focus.

The true test is how they act when someone else enters their "personal space" in a sense...i.e., shows up at a jam or situation in which they may challenge the player as far as stage time or audience reaction goes.

A few of the greats are truly humble and accepting (usually the older more mature ones). The younger ones don't welcome the intrusion as much and are very protective of their territory, going so far as to act not very nice.

I've personally seen this over the years with myself...it always mystified me, as I didn't get this mind set.

For example, being asked to join in a tune or two with an established band (with or without a harmonica player). If I play "too well" or receive too much audience admiration, it doesn't sit well with the other musicians or band leader.

Have seen a well known and loved harmonica player, who projected a nice guy image, totally turn about in a situation in which a "guest" joined in and played as good or better. The key was watching this guy when he thought no one was...look on the face was sour and he actually left the venue while the sit in player performed.

So, human nature being what it is, there are all sides to this equation.

In a safe environment, it is easy to be the gracious and humble nice guy.

In a challenged situation, ego may pop up and create a little monster for a minute.

DISCLAIMER>>  This is a general statement and not one aimed at Gregoire, whom I have not had the opportunity to see in a challenging situation nor watch his reaction when he thought no one was looking.