Re: [Harp-L] Scottish/Irish tunes

The harps I mostly use for Irish and Old-Time sessions are in two tunings:
standard Richter and with the 2&3 draw notes lowered 2 semitones each.  The
standard tuning played in 1st and 2nd position, the altered tuning in 1st
and 3rd position.  I like this particular altered tuning because it
increases the available octaves and preserves the tonic chord inversions in
1st position and increases them in 3rd position - good for vamping and
octave stylings. I'll sometimes use country-tuned short harps for slow airs
or song accompaniment.  Mixolydian tunings are also useful.  Depending on
the loudness of the session, I'll use my octave harp conversions, XB-40s or
short harps, valved or unvalved.  The keys are mostly G, low D, A and low
C,  and occasionally a low F altered tuning for the odd Gmin tune.  And you
might consider the jaw harp, or trump.  My favorite trump is the Szilagyi
Black Fire.
Rick