[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 123, Issue 18

----- Original Message -----

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 08:32:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fw: [Harp-L] Polishing reeds
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Mike -ï

Any comment on the longevity of Hohner chromatic high reeds since the reed redesign circa 2005?

Winslow

<<Yes, Winslow. The problem occurs with all the X series plates including those prior to 2005. I don't know what Hohner was thinking when they narrowed almost half the reeds on their chromatics.

Where the older model 270's and CX-12's seem to fatigue most is on holes 6 and 7. The newer reeds fail most on holes 6 to 12. The Tenor models seem to be the worse. They constantly fail for my customers on holes 9 to 12.

I don't think it is the reed material because when it comes time to replace the narrow reeds I have to trim either newer reeds I've purchased from Hohner or use the NOS reeds I have. AFAIK HohnerUSA doesn't sell the narrow reeds.
The reeds I trim fail just as fast as the ones Hohner installs.

I do think that while narrowing the reeds may make them respond with a little less effort the trade off are expensive repair bills over the life of the harmonica. I really wish they wouldn't have tried to fix something that wasn't broken. I strongly believe they should go back to the wider reeds>>